Advice for setting up house budget with roommates

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 26 13:09:25 EDT 2008

harry_seldon <harry.seldon.f at gmail.com> writes:

> OK, I see the autofill. However if the amount is not exactly the same (phone
> bill for instance) the computations must be redone.
> It is also possible to simply duplicate a transaction.

True.

> But for my purpose, I would have preferred a sort of macro. Indeed I am not
> manually writing the lines. I simply download them from my online banking.
> What I would like is to have some rules to apply to a transaction according
> to its name.
> For instance when the new line rent is detected in the checking account, the
> rules would credit the expense account and debit the other housemates'
> accounts of their parts.

Well, your other option is to use the SX system.  You can input
a fomula with a variable and then when you instantiate the SX you
can plug in the actual value and it will compute the rest of the
transaction for you.