Price Source for Mutual Fund and Stock

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 19:31:30 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Yogesh Agrawal <agrawaly at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Charles Day <cedayiv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Yogesh Agrawal <agrawaly at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > It really doesn't matter, at what price I sold them, it is at 46. I
> > > would expect it to show 1000 because, that is what my investment is.
> > >

> > Your sale was of the first two lots, and 1000 is your basis of your
> > remaining shares. I understand that.
> >
> > But the balance sheet report doesn't try to show your basis. The report
> > estimates the current value of your remaining holdings using the method you
> > select in the report options. Since you're using "weighted average", the
> > report values your remaining holdings based on a weighted average of all
> > exchanges between your fund and your currency.
> >
> > Your five exchanges are:
> > 36.075 shares @ 27.72
> > 16.171 shares @ 30.9195
> > 16.319 shares @ 30.6391
> > 16.077 shares @ 31.1003
> > 52.246 shares @ 46
> >
> > Weighted average price = (qty1 * price1 + qty2 * price2 + qty3 * price3
> > + qty4 * price4 + qty5 * price5) / (qty1 + qty2 + qty3 + qty4 + qty5)
> >
> > The weighted average price is 35.8199, so your remaining 32.396 shares
> > would be worth 1160.42 according to this method.
> >

> I understand this charles,  but  my question is how can I get 1000 instead
> of weighted average 1160.42, because, when you move from one financial
> year to another
> you balance sheet should show the amount of the investment that you are
> carrying over, not the weighted average.
>
> It is same as you calculate the capital gain, you don't calculate it on
> the basis of weighted average, but you calculated in on the actual price at
> which you
> bought the shares and the price at which you have sold it.

Why would you only carry over the basis? Wouldn't you carry over whatever
their market value was at the end of the financial year, including
unrealized gains? (Just curious.)

In any case, the balance sheet report only estimates the value as of the
report date. It isn't designed to show the basis.

-Charles