Stock account question

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 27 08:00:19 EDT 2008

Hi,

1) Please send all messages to gnucash-user, not to me directly
2) Please put your question into the BODY of the message,
   not the subject

"drgirish.vaswani" <drgirish.vaswani at gmail.com> writes:

> In the stock account the 3 columns - after entering the no. of
> shares, price of one share and entering the transaction, the total
> buy and the no. of shares show the same figure.Eg I enter 100
> shares, then the price/share is say 40 the total buy is
> automatically calculated as 4000. But the no. of shares also changes
> to 4000.

What does gnucash think the Account Commodity is?  From the Chart
of Accounts click (once) on the Stock Account and then click on
"Edit".  I bet this "stock" account is actually denoted in a
currency, probably because it was created from the New Hierarchy
druid and you didn't set it up then.

You need to create a real Commodity and reset the account to use it.