Reconciliation window: closing balance distorted and reconciliation date

Jannick Asmus jannick.news at gmail.com
Fri May 2 16:21:11 EDT 2008

Hi Maf.,

On 02.05.2008 15:02, Maf. King wrote:
> On Friday 02 May 2008, Jannick Asmus wrote:
>> Maf,
>>
>> On 02.05.2008 13:41, Maf. King wrote:
>>
>>> I suggest that you will have to manually over-ride the ending balance
>>> when you start the reconcile, or adjust it using Reconcile-> Reconcile
>>> Information once you know what the discrepancy is.
>> This needs tedious calculations. I would like GC to do this job for me.
>>

> Yes, I can see this manual method could lead to errors - although all you need
> to do is substitute "balance_at_date" with "final_balance" in the reconcile
> dialog - AFAIK, the ending balance is just grabbed from the register using
> the reconcile date - you can just read the final future balance and insert
> that - no calculation required!

This is a good idea: If the default balancing amount is the balance at
date (which is available in GC), there is no manual entering needed any
more - for everybody. I take this suggestion for the bug report I am
going to file on this topic.

>>> There is a "bug" (deviation from user expectation) in how the reconcile
>>> dialog ending balance figure is auto-filled when you start the process.
>> I was wondering to file a bug at bugzilla. But first I wanted to hear
>> what others think about it. I think I should file shortly.
>
> I don't think it is a bug, as such.  I think you are "bending" the reconcile
> process to do something it isn't intended to do (more of this later).  It is
> more like a RFE, IMHO.

Yes, indeed. :-)

>>> Does Umsatzsteuer work in the same way as UK VAT?
> <SNIP>
>> That sounds quite similar to the German Umsatzsteuer system.
> <SNIP>
>> I reconcile every account to avoid inconsistencies and apply proper
>> double accounting.
>>

> This is what I mean about "bending" reconcilliation: (- and remember, IANAA!)
>
> As I said in an earlier post, (as I understand it) -  to "reconcile" an
> account is about checking that you and some other organisation agree about
> the balance of an account at some point in time, not  to do with proper
> double-entry accounting, or making txns "fixed" (although it does have that
> side-effect with the warning dialog if you try to change a flagged txn)
>

> I see exactly what you are doing, and understand your reasoning, but if I may
> make a suggestion -  don't reconcile your tax liability account every day (or
> data-entry day/week/whatever) - do it only when the final total for the month
> is known, then you should end up at 0.00 in the account - unless you have an
> error!

I understand your method. But it only works if there are balancing dates
when their are no due-date-discrepancies as described in our discussion.
But unfortunately there is no such date unless there was no invoice
payment or a purchase in the previous month. But this happens seldom. ;)
And should in the future - I hope for me. :-)

(I do this for my expenses claimed from my business, so I can see
> easily what is outstanding. )
>
> Regards,
> Maf.

Viele Grüße