gnucash and gnome

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat May 3 13:19:47 EDT 2008

At Sat, 3 May 2008 12:09:24 -0400 "Donald Allen" <donaldcallen at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >

> >  > Since I try never to complain without providing a constructive
> >  > suggestion, I would offer that what the gnucash team should do is to
> >  > identify those functions that directly depend on gnome and create an
> >  > abstraction layer from those requirements. Then the end user can feel
> >  > free to use whichever desktop they have selected without having to
> >  > install 75% of the one they didn't select. That leaves gnucash out of
> >  > the desktop debate and opens its use up to whole groups of new users,
> >  > like me, who won't be able to use it because they don't want to have
> >  > to install gnome on their KDE system.
> >
> >  You don't need to install gnome.  You just need some common libraries,
> >  like glib, gtk, etc.  Are you willing to devote the several man-years
> >  of effort to add this level of abstraction?  Are you willing to stick around
> >  for the next decade and support it?
> >

> >  > I'm going to check back from time to time to see if the dependency on
> >  > gnome has been eliminated or reduced to an acceptable point. I would
> >  > love to use gnucash and contribute to its success story. Until then,
> >  > I guess it's Microsoft and Intuit for the time being. Bleh!
> >
> >  Have fun.  I don't see this changing at all.
> >
> >  I'll note that GnuCash DID have multiple UIs at one point; there
> >  was a Motif UI and a Gtk UI..  But the developers at the time found
> >  that it was way too much work to maintain two sets of UIs.  But you're
> >  asking for even more than that!  You're asking for not only two sets of
> >  UIs but also two sets of underlying SUPPORT libraries (printing,
> >  graphing, report-display, etc).   In other words, you're asking for
> >  duplication of about 60% of the gnucash code base.   That's just
> >  completely unreasonable.  You might as well just go ahead and write
> >  a new program.  There's just no way you could rip out glib/gobject;
> >  it's just too ingrained deep into the bowels of every level of the
> >  program...  And LOOK!  glib is a GNOME LIBRARY.   Ooops!  There goes
> >  your clean system, you just dirtied it with that ucky gnome lib.
> >
> >  So pardon me while I go off in a corner and laugh really hard at you.
> >  The FAQ is there for a reason. [*]
>
> I was going to make some of the points that Derek made, but he made
> them sooner and better than I would have. I will just add that I am
> also running Gentoo and use neither Gnome nor KDE, but simply run
> Fluxbox as my window manager/desktop (I like it nice and simple). But
> I'm a happy Intuit-less, Microsoft-less Gnucash user, have been for a
> few years, and I couldn't care less about the little bit of disk space
> the Gnome libraries occupy on my 60 Gb disk that is about 1/5 full, a
> tiny price to pay for having non-bloatware money-management software
> based on clear design and accounting principles and where the
> developers aren't constantly trying to sell me something I don't want
> or need. I think you need to take a second look at your cost-benefit
> analysis, because I think you got it wrong the first time.

I too use GnuCash on a CentOS 4.6 system (yes, I am still at GnuCash
2.0.<mumble>). I don't use any desktop manager -- just a 'bare' fvwm2
window manager in MWM mode. I happen to have Gnome installed, mostly
because the default RedHat/CentOS installs it by default and it is too
much hassle to selectively uninstall a handfull of bits and pieces -- I
use a few other applications that depend on various Gnome-ish libraries
(including GIMP and FireFox).  My /usr file system is 6gig and only 78%
full (I have a 36gig disk, with like 12 partitions).  The Gnome-ish
libraries disk usage are the least of my worries...

> /Don
>

> >  > Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> >  > You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
> >
> >  -derek
> >
> >  [*] Significant financial backing not-withstanding, of course.
> >
> >  --
> >        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
> >        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
> >        warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available

> >  Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> >  You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
heller at deepsoft.com       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk