How to account for a purchase on credit card with reimbursement

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Sun May 4 09:17:10 EDT 2008

On 2008-05-03, Jannick Asmus wrote:

> This means that you are anticipating the due date of the receivable for
> expense reimbursement since you have not yet had a financial outflow to
> establish the formal claim against the employer at this point of time.
>
> But this is really cherry picking and a little tiny issue of timing. :-)
> It certainly can be neglected.

I can live with that.  To me this is just a more prolonged version of
the issue some people have with bank transfers that take a few days
between accounts.

> Salary before income tax since you show the income tax separated as
> expense, isn't it?

Yes, "salary" means "gross salary" for me.

>> claims.  I also use the cleared/reconciled column in the expense
>> claims account ("c" means the item has been submitted on a claim; "y"
>> means I've been reimbursed for it).
>
> Do you assign "c" and "y" in GC? If yes where?

I set "c" by clicking on it in the register.  I set "y" by using the
"reconcile" function and selecting the transactions that have been
reimbursed and the reimbursement item of the payroll split.  The
reconciled balance on the expense claims account is always 0.

> Do you use the business feature in GC
> - for CC bills?
> - if yes: for employee's expenses to populate the CC bill?

If you mean the invoicing and related functions, I don't use any of
those.