Could not determine the account currency

Joel Thibault (Gnucash) ie37pjv02 at sneakemail.com
Sun May 4 22:37:42 EDT 2008

On 4/29/08, Derek Atkins warlord-at-MIT.EDU wrote:

> "Joel Thibault (Gnucash)" <ie37pjv02 at sneakemail.com> writes:
>
> > Thanks for the response, Derek.
> >
> > The account type is Mutual Fund and the commodity is FUND/VISVX, which I
> > entered.  I have seen this behavior for several similar
> accounts.  There's no
> > "other account" when this appears: I get the error message (1) after I
> > double-click on the account and before the account screen opens, and (2)
> when
> > I navigate away from the empty transaction at the bottom of the
> ledger.  When
> > I'm on a real transaction involving one or more other accounts, it
> doesn't
> > happen.
> >

> [snip]
>
> > But I see no changes in gnucash's behavior.  Is it something I need to
> have
> > set at compile-time instead?  My default currency is USD too.
>

> What's the type and commodity of the parent account of this FUND?
> I bet you have this fund as a top-level account instead of in some
> "brokerage" parent.
>
> > Joel
>
> -derek

Aha.  That does seem to be the problem.  I had the default (money-market)
fund as a top-level account, with its fund as the default currency, and the
other funds were sub-accounts of that.  I saw the error for all of the
funds.  When I created a new Asset account with default currency USD as the
top-level, and placed all the funds under this, the problem went away.

But why should my original configuration cause this message to appear?  Was
I doing something wrong to set it up this way, or are we seeing a bug?

Thanks for your help.
Joel

--
Joel Thibault [AIM: Jole Tebo]