Reconciliation window: closing balance distorted and reconciliation date

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue May 6 10:33:17 EDT 2008

Jannick Asmus <jannick.news at gmail.com> writes:

> 2. How can GC become an accounting software as accepted as commercial
> accounting programs - not only for users, but for local tax authorities
> as well? One of the standard argument given in these discussions in
> order to reject GC is that entries in GC can be easily altered -
> intentionally and unintentionally. That the requirement is not quite
> compatible with OpenSource is evident.

It's not that it's not compatible with open source.  Even with Quicken
or Quickbooks, a dedicated hacker could modify the data.  The problem
is that it's not compatible with read-write storage!  You literally
want write-only storage.

The laws were written for pen-and-paper, a write-once technology.

> 3. Where was the problem for other users if the balancing amount in the
> reconciliation window would be changed from "total" to "to date/actual"
> (I am not sure whether this is correctly translated from German where it
> reads "Gesamt" and "Aktuell"). Is there really any substantial
> difference? Honestly, I cannot see any. But perhaps I am missing
> something here.

I don't understand this question.  In the reconcile process there are
two steps, the setup dialog (where you select the reconcile date and
the ending balance), and then the reconcile window which lists all
the debits and credits and you select them all.  Where is this
phrase?  I don't see "total" anywhere in the English version.

> As I have given an answer to 1. for myself and 3. could be a request of
> recommendation, 2. is left to the community to tackle with.

I suspect #3 is just an error in the translation.
#2 could be interesting but there needs to be a lot of discussion
about the actual requirements about how the feature would work.