Reconciliation window: closing balance distorted and reconciliation date

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue May 6 10:36:06 EDT 2008

"Maf. King" <maf at chilwell.net> writes:

> On Tuesday 06 May 2008, Jannick Asmus wrote:
>

>> 3. Where was the problem for other users if the balancing amount in the
>> reconciliation window would be changed from "total" to "to date/actual"
>> (I am not sure whether this is correctly translated from German where it
>> reads "Gesamt" and "Aktuell"). Is there really any substantial
>> difference? Honestly, I cannot see any. But perhaps I am missing
>> something here.
>>

> Hi Jannick,
>
> I think that you have this backwards - GC will fill the reconcile
> ending-balance by grabbing the balance in the register at the date you have
> entered.  Change the statement date, and the ending-balance auto-adjusts to
> follow the date.
>
> IIRC, what you want (for your particular tax accounts) is that regardless of
> reconcile date, the ending-balance auto-filled is the balance of the
> register "At the End of Time"

And *that* will never happen because except for your weird case doing
this is ALWAYS wrong.  But even choosing the balance at the reconcile
date is often times wrong.  This is why it's a user entry!