amend transactions programmatically

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Tue May 6 17:45:50 EDT 2008

Russell Gadd <russ.mail.lists at googlemail.com> writes:
>> My only suggestion is that I'd recommend you use a --prefix during
>> configure to make it easier to remove that version of gnucash later.
>> Also, using --prefix will prevent "dirtying" /usr/local, and you can
>> set it up so you don't need to 'sudo' to "make install"
>>
> This is beyond me - I don't understand --prefix. Maybe people used to
> compiling can follow this?
> Not sure why /usr/local shouldn't be dirtied. A cleaner solution would
> presumably do it properly and build a package.

--prefix just sets the prefix path appended to all paths during install.  So,
a --prefix of "/foobar" would install the software into /foobar/bin/,
/foobar/lib/, /foobar/share/, &c.

Installing it into something not shared like /opt/gnucash-svn/ means that
if/when you want to remove all traces of it, you can do `rm -Rf
/opt/gnucash-svn`.  If the software is installed in /usr/local/ (or /usr/)
without using a package manager that tracks all the files that got installed,
it's basically impossible to remove it from the system.

> I'm not fussed about using sudo, if someone is thinking of compiling
> some app is it not unreasonable to expect them to have some root access?

No, there's no need to have root access to build or run the software, or
trash their "officially" installed files via an errant `make install`, or …
There's plenty of good reasons to try to do as *little* as root as possible.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}