amend transactions programmatically

Russell Gadd russ.mail.lists at googlemail.com
Tue May 6 16:38:12 EDT 2008

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Russell Gadd <russ.mail.lists at googlemail.com>:
>
>> Derek Atkins wrote:

>>> You should still just put it on the wiki.  Make a new section
>>> on that page.  All you need to do is create an account and then
>>> click "Edit".

>>> -derek
>>>
>> Ok I give in. Look at this page and let me have any comments.
>> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Debian
>
> My only suggestion is that I'd recommend you use a --prefix during
> configure to make it easier to remove that version of gnucash later.
> Also, using --prefix will prevent "dirtying" /usr/local, and you can
> set it up so you don't need to 'sudo' to "make install"

This is beyond me - I don't understand --prefix. Maybe people used to
compiling can follow this?
Not sure why /usr/local shouldn't be dirtied. A cleaner solution would
presumably do it properly and build a package.
I'm not fussed about using sudo, if someone is thinking of compiling
some app is it not unreasonable to expect them to have some root access?
> Beyond that, looks fine.
>
> Oh, one other question -- how is this different than, say,
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building  ??
The gnucash wiki instructions are more comprehensive and give more
information but I think are aimed at a more experienced user level above
my simple account of how to do it in Debian.

Example:
3. Look at available configure options

  ./configure --help

4. Run configure with the appropriate options; some example options
might look as follows

  ./configure --prefix=/opt/gnucash \
     --enable-debug --enable-doxygen \
     --enable-error-on-warning --enable-compile-warnings \
     [--enable-ofx [...]]

In essence not really different, which is why I put at the top "Rather
than building a Debian package I just used the instructions provided by
Gnucash for any flavour of Linux. These notes are no more than
confirmation that those instructions work."  Hopefully the two wikis
complement each other.

Russell