Thanks for the help - now about importing

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu May 8 09:42:14 EDT 2008

hi,

Quoting Matt Burkhardt <mlb at imparisystems.com>:

>> > Yes

>> > I've tried 1/23/2007 - which is the date of my checking statement with
>> > the amount shown (about $200) and I've also tried 1/1/2007 with $164 as
>> > the ending balance.  But both give me that huge negative amount as the
>> > starting balance.
>> >

>> Hi,
>>
>> What happens if you ignore the starting balance?
>> Can you get the ending balance to be correct?
>>
>> (it has been said on this list before, that the starting balance can
>> be safely
>> ignored in the reconcile dialog - only the end is important.)
>>
>> HTH,
>> Maf.
>>

> For example, I'm starting with $100 in my account, I write a $50 check
> and deposit $75 in during the course of the month.  If the software is
> telling me my starting balance is -$125, I tell it the ending balance is
> $125, I need a $225 deposit to get it to agree which would be bogus.  Is
> that how I do it?  Otherwise, you're never allowed to hit the "Finish"
> button on the reconcile panel.

listening to this I think you're not giving the full story.  The only
way that Gnucash would think you have a starting balance of -125 is if
you already ran the reconciliation process, or somehow transactions got
marked as "reconciled".

I think it's time to ask for screen shots.  Can you show screen shots
of:

1) The account register, showing all the beginning transactions
2) The reconcile setup dialog, showing what you're inputting, and
3) The reconcile window, showing what transactions are available to you.