How do I set the value of a stable fund?

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Fri May 9 10:04:38 EDT 2008

On Thursday 08 May 2008 4:37:14 am Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quoting Matt Burkhardt <mlb at imparisystems.com>:
> > On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 13:24 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> Just treat it like a stock.  Give it some name and just treat it like
> >> a stock.  If the price is always $300 then the price is always $300.
> >> It's the same as if the price were always $1.
> >
> > Is there someplace I can set it?  Right now, it wants a Security Type
> > such as FUND or NYSE - but then I have no place to default a price.
> > Also, I can't include these on the default Assets &
> > Liabilities:Investment Portfolio Report - just get "An error occurred".
>
> Just enter a price into the Price Editor manually based on whatever
> you called the security when you created it.
>
> > So what I would like to see in my Accounts page is the price - I've
> > tried some additional fields, like the Total(USD) works great for mutual
> > funds and regular stocks that do have stock symbols.
>
> Right.

> >> Right.

> -derek

Stocks here seem to work differently, but if you were opening an account for
shares, you would set an opening price, either what you paid for it, or the
stock's value on that date.  Could you put your value in the same place?

It behaves like a stock, but does that matter to you?  As far as you are
concerned, is it simply an investment of $300?  (That was more a rhetorical
question.)  The only similar one we own is in units that are listed on the
Exchange like company shares, but reinvested dividends are used to create
additional units at the ruling market price - a different setup.

Doug in Oz.