AQBanking

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Fri May 23 00:38:24 EDT 2008

On May 22, 2008, at 8:01 PM, Adam Rosenstein wrote:

> Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask (maybe an AQBanking list?)
> but I
> cannot seem to figure out how to configure OFXDirect for my financial
> institution (Bank of the West).
>
> I saw:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2007-August/021574.html
> and:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2007-February/019464.html
>
> I downloaded the raw FI data, and found my bank:
>
> [snip]
>    <Org></Org>
>    <FID></FID>
> [snip]   <BrokerID></BrokerID>
>    <OFXHeaderVer>102</OFXHeaderVer>
> [snip]
> <ProviderURL>https://olbp.bankofthewest.com/ofx0002/ofx_isapi.dll</
> ProviderURL>
> [snip]
> As you can see fid,org, and brokerid are all blank.  no combination of
> "send empty bankid/fid" and using fipid in place of fid and using
> bankofthewest BANKOFTHEWEST bankofthewest.com BANKOFTHEWEST.COM
> etimebanker ETIMEBANKER etimebanker.bankofthewest.com
> ETIMEBANKER.BANKOFTHEWEST.COM seemed to work.
>
> I'm stumped.
>
> I have :
>
> libaqbanking16-2.3.3-0.pm.1
> aqbanking-2.3.3-0.pm.1
> aqbanking-ofx-2.3.3-0.pm.1
> aqbanking-ofx-qt3-2.3.3-0.pm.1
> gnucash-2.2.0-42.2
>
> on OpenSUSE-10.3.

First, the Bank of the West web site indicates that you have to pay a
fee to use DirectConnect
http://www.bankofthewest.com/BOW/main.jsp?ChId=50888bafabf8a010VgnVCM1000007fc35c92____

WebConnect (ofx file downloads) are free, but DC including bill
payment inside Money/Quicken requires $7.95/month.

The bankid is aqbanking's name for (usually) the ABA Routing/Transit
number. I have a bank account where that is not the case, but usually
the number from the lower left corner of your checks will work.

If you don't already have a DirectConnect ID and password from the
bank, you will probably need to get them before you can hope to test
data in the various aqbanking fields.

The way to be most sure you have the right data is:
Get an evaluation copy of Quicken (I think they exist)
Find a family member who doesn't use Quicken, has a PC, will let you
install it briefly on their machine
Install it
Log in once to your account
Use the ofx log retrieval utility from the customer help section of
quicken to display the log of your ofx session
Write down the FID, ORG, and provider URL
Uninstall Quicken and make sure your data files are gone

You probably want to export the ofx log as text to a file you keep so
you can pour over it's several sections in case something doesn't
quite work out right.

Personally, I'd certainly use WebConnect for free rather than pay a
fee for directconnect.

Dave
--
David Reiser