Accounting for UK pension contributions.

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Fri May 23 11:16:57 EDT 2008

I'm curious as to what other gnucash users think of the way I've been
accounting for pension contributions in my monthly salary split.

1. National Insurance.  This is equivalent to US Social Security.
   I've been treating this as an expense (debiting it to a sub-account
   of Expenses:Taxes).

2. Employee's contribution to a final salary scheme.  Since I'm going
   to get something good for this in the long run, I've been debiting
   this to an asset account, which contains the cumulative amount I've
   paid in.  What I get out later is not *directly* tied to the
   contributions, however.

3. Employee's optional contribution to an AVC (Additional Voluntary
   Contribution) scheme, which is a "with-profits fund".  I've been
   debiting this to an asset account too.  Every year I get a
   statement that tells me what my fund is worth (balance from last
   year + contributions over the year +  bonuses declared), and I
   enter a transaction to debit this asset account and credit
   "Income:Investments:AVC Bonuses".  The value of the fund will be
   relevant when I retire.

Comments?  Suggestions?