Report development without the need to restart GnuCash

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Tue May 27 11:40:37 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 8:15 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> "Charles Day" <cedayiv at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 7:44 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> >
> >     "Torsten Edeler" <torsten at edeler.org> writes:
> >
> >     > I'm not very sure, if I just created a memory leak.... On every
> call to
> >     > options-generator the function gnc:new-options is called twice.
> Once
> >     outside
> >     > and once inside the myoptions function. I hope Scheme has some kind
> of
> >     > garbage collection to handle this.
> >
> >     It does.
> >
> > Derek, do you agree that there is a bug in the reporting API, namely that
> it
> > will not catch exceptions that occur in Torsten's custom options
> generator?
> > (It does catch any exception occurring in his custom renderer.)
>
> Oh, maybe.  It's certainly arguable.  On the other hand, it's
> pretty hard to mess up your options-generator!  That's a pretty
> darn easy procedure to get right.

I would argue that the API should not allow a Scheme exception to cause a
crash. Just notify the user. Basically the same as it already does for
renderers.

> If so, should Torsten file a bug report? I tried looking for an existing
> bug
> > that covers this, but couldn't find one.
>
> Are you planning to fix it?

Maybe, but there is plenty else to do. And, certainly, I'm no expert in the
reporting area.

> Honestly, I'd consider this a "developer issue", not a "user issue".
> Those dont really need bug reports, per se.

I just don't want it to get lost, since it involves crashing.