String lengths in the SQL backend

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Nov 12 11:24:46 EST 2008

>I'd have to look back, but I think Derek's reply was the only one.  I'd like
>to open the topic again, because of Rolf's problem.  Can anyone think of a
>reason that account code size limit cannot be reduced to a smaller value (e.g.
>32)?   Will anyone ever enter an account code longer than that?
>
>Phil

ROFLOL --- as soon as you set a limit that a user could bump into,
somebody will. Best to look at this from a human engineering
perspective. There's no obvious reason why somebody someday couldn't
possibly want to use account codes larger than 32. But there are reasons
to decide that nobody would ever use ones as large  256 -- because no
screen wide enough to enter something like that on a single line.

Michael