String lengths in the SQL backend

Herbert Thoma herbert.thoma at iis.fraunhofer.de
Wed Nov 12 11:57:44 EST 2008

Mike or Penny Novack schrieb:
>> I'd have to look back, but I think Derek's reply was the only one.  I'd like
>> to open the topic again, because of Rolf's problem.  Can anyone think of a
>> reason that account code size limit cannot be reduced to a smaller value (e.g.
>> 32)?   Will anyone ever enter an account code longer than that?
>>
>> Phil
>>

> ROFLOL --- as soon as you set a limit that a user could bump into,
> somebody will. Best to look at this from a human engineering
> perspective. There's no obvious reason why somebody someday couldn't
> possibly want to use account codes larger than 32. But there are reasons
> to decide that nobody would ever use ones as large  256 -- because no
> screen wide enough to enter something like that on a single line.

Ah well, I have a 30", 2560 pixel wide screen, 256 chars on a single
line is possible, if the font is not too large ...

Rolf wants german SKR4 account codes and these are 6 or 8 digit numerical
codes, but that fact does not help since other users may have (miss-)
used the account code field with longer codes.

 Herbert.

> Michael

Herbert Thoma
Dipl.-Ing., MBA
Head of Video Group
Multimedia Realtime Systems Department
Fraunhofer IIS
Am Wolfsmantel 33, 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Phone: +49-9131-776-6130
Fax:   +49-9131-776-6099
email: tma at iis.fhg.de
www: http://www.iis.fhg.de/