String lengths in the SQL backend

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 13 10:10:53 EST 2008

Herbert Thoma <herbert.thoma at iis.fraunhofer.de> writes:

> Ah well, I have a 30", 2560 pixel wide screen, 256 chars on a single
> line is possible, if the font is not too large ...
>
> Rolf wants german SKR4 account codes and these are 6 or 8 digit numerical
> codes, but that fact does not help since other users may have (miss-)
> used the account code field with longer codes.

It is not a mis-use of the field to have longer codes.
I agree, 32 is too long.

What exactly is the use-case for using codes as a primary key?
Keep in mind that the SQL Backend data store is just that, a
data store.  GnuCash does NOT use database constraints, and
for Accounts it doesn't even need to use an Index, because GnuCash
does (should!) load in all the accounts at start time.

So... All searches on accounts are done in core in the gnucash app
without looking at the DB backend.