unrealised losses?

musicman datakid at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 17:24:40 EST 2008

Hola

We've been using GnuCash for a few years and recently have employed
someone to "do the books" so that I don't have to - nice :)

When recently doing a Balance Sheet report, we had a line item called
"unrealised losses" that was >0. Our new finance bod tells us that
this refers to gains or losses on shares.

We don't deal in shares and have no shares. The only thing that it
might refer to that I can think of is that we often deal in other
currencies for purchases and petty cash as we travel for work
overseas.

So my questions are:

1. What determines the "unrealised losses" on the Balance Sheet report

and

2. Would my assumption on other currencies being the cause of this be
likely, and how would it be measured as a loss or gain?

cheers
L.

--
Y: X is very contraria...