unrealised losses?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 19 10:46:29 EST 2008

Hi,

musicman <datakid at gmail.com> writes:

[snip]
> 1. What determines the "unrealised losses" on the Balance Sheet report

A change in the value of a holding of a non-default-currency commodity.

> and
>
> 2. Would my assumption on other currencies being the cause of this be
> likely, and how would it be measured as a loss or gain?

If the exchange rate changes between when you acquired the foreign
currency and when you ran the report.

For example, lets assume that you bought £100.00 for $150.00.
The the dollar shifts so your £100 is now only worth $125.
That would be an unrealized loss, reflected only in the PriceDB
change in exchange rate.  The loss is realized once you use the
£100 for some purchase.