reporting dimensions?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 19 10:40:59 EST 2008

Hi,

Uwe Oberle <Uwe.Oberle at web.de> writes:

[snip]
> Example:
> *******
> buying the security:
> ---------------------
> entry:
> security1 (asset account, in portfolio1)    TO     cash account (asset)     2000,-  (rate 100%)

I think you mean:

Cash to Asset:Security1, as you're BUYING the security so money is
flowing out of the Cash Account (Credit) and INTO the Security1
account (Debit).  So just create an account:  Asset:Security1
of type Stock and assign the "security1" commodity to keep track
of that.

[snip]
> Then I'd like to select the cash flow by criteria "security1". result would be:
>
> date                  cashflow
> 18.Nov.2007      -2000
> 20.Nov.2008       +100
> 20.Nov.2008      +2000
>
> Can I do that with GnuCash ?

Of course.

> How can I do that?

Run a Transaction Report over the Security account.

> Wich chapter in which help does describe this?

I have no idea.  I don't have the help memorized.

> In the same way I'd like to define logical portfolios, for example to define security risk classes an calculate them the same way as decribed above.

This might be more problematic; GnuCash does not support views.
So you need to set your accounts up into the proper hierarchy for
your primary view.  But you could still arrange your securities
into logical portfolios:

  Assets:Portfolio1:{security1,security2,security3}
        :Portfolio2:{security4,security4,security6}

> Now, I'm curious to read your answers! ;-)
>
> How could I enhance GnuCash on my own to reach, what I want?
> I'm familiar with C!

I haven't seen anything in your requirements that GnuCash cannot
do, yet.