reporting dimensions?

Uwe Oberle Uwe.Oberle at web.de
Tue Nov 18 02:12:39 EST 2008

hello all,

I'm already searching a tool for my private finance for a long time.
Therefore I'have evaluated different free or shareware portfolio tools, but there was no one which could fulfill my requirements. So I have developed a tool on my own, but it's not yet finished and it needs too much time, to do all alone. It's nearly finished like all software tools ;-)

Now I found GnuCash; and it could possibly (??) fulfill my requirements?

buy the way:
double entry booking is doubtless the right way!

My very important and central requirement is a possibility to add some reporting dimensions to each entry booking line.

for example I need to add the security (and depot/portfolio) to an income-entry!

why do I need that?
Because this is the (a) way to select all booking amounts for the security, which are the basic data for the cash flow. the cash flow is the basic to calculate the net yield....

Example:
*******
buying the security:
---------------------
entry:
security1 (asset account, in portfolio1)    TO     cash account (asset)     2000,-  (rate 100%)

5% interest payment for the upper security after one year:
entry:
cash account (asset)   TO    interest income account (income) 100,-  (reporting dimension: security1 in portfolio1)

return of the security after one year:
entry:
cash account (asset)     2000,-  TO     security1 (asset account, in portfolio1)     (return rate 100%)

Then I'd like to select the cash flow by criteria "security1". result would be:

date                  cashflow
18.Nov.2007      -2000
20.Nov.2008       +100
20.Nov.2008      +2000

Can I do that with GnuCash ?
How can I do that?
Wich chapter in which help does describe this?

In the same way I'd like to define logical portfolios, for example to define security risk classes an calculate them the same way as decribed above.

Now, I'm curious to read your answers! ;-)

How could I enhance GnuCash on my own to reach, what I want?
I'm familiar with C!

kind regards
 Uwe