Don't understand imbalance

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Nov 21 16:37:00 EST 2008

At Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:15:36 -0800 (PST) hh6199 at yahoo.com wrote:

> The way I have been doing it goes along with my thinking this way:
>
> I make several purchases with my credit card. This represents money
> from my bank account but it hasn't been taken out yet. When the bill
> comes in then I take the money from checking and pay the credit card
> bill and allocate the different purchases to the different expense
> accounts.

Actually is is NOT 'money from my bank account but it hasn't been taken
out yet', it is in fact money you *borrowed* from the credit card company.
And you did in fact 'spend it' when you bought the items in question.
Just because you pay off your balance every month it is no less an act
of borrowing.  The credit card company considers each transaction as a
separate transaction and should you ever decide to set up the on-line
banking interface (or simply start downloading OFX files from your
credit card company and/or bank, that is how it will look in the OFX
files.  Doing something else will only make things harder.

> I am not arguing and definitely am not an accountant, but I don't see
> the need to go through two more steps of posting the purchases in
> liabilities or accounts payable and then having to relieve those
> accounts. To me, my way cuts out a couple of unneeded steps for my home
> finances.

You are not really saving steps here, instead you are collecting them
together in a large, complex, and confusing split. It might seem like more
steps, but it is really the same amount of work. It is also simplier and
less complex.  I.e. instead of 4-5 one-line transactions, you have one 4-5
line split transaction.  It is a '6 of one, half a dozzen of the other'
situation.

> I will just delete the transaction and re-enter it and post back what
> I have then.
>
> Harold

Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
heller at deepsoft.com       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk