imbalance

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonet.ca
Fri Nov 21 18:56:08 EST 2008

Harold wrote:
> I deleted and re-entered my split transaction and have the same negative figure in the imbalance account. I am obviously not doing the transaction correctly or GC must require that I use the liabilities or something like the advice that has been given.
>
> As I am writing this I see that there are more replies to my prior posts. This may get so out of whack that we may have to abandon because of confusion and start over.

It's actually quite simple if you take it one step at a time.

1.  Open your credit card.
2.  Enter a debit for the full amount of the bill.
3.  Turn on the split option.
4.  Enter the Medical, Books, and whatever else as separate items in the
other column.  When you're done, it should balance.
5.  Use the enter key to complete that transaction and then close the
credit card.
6.  Open the chequing account.
7.  Enter the amount of the payment as a debit.
8.  Show the credit card as the other account.
9.  Hit enter and you're done.

Think of the process this way.  Whatever you take out of one account you
have to put into another.  You can't take something out of and put it
into the same account at the same time.  This is what you were trying to do.

I'm glad you asked before something got messed up.

Cheers

Cam