Paying Suppliers (Vendors) Splitting to Assets and Expenses

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 24 11:04:18 EST 2008

Hi,

postmaster <postmaster at gbenet.com> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> Running Suse 11 so no built in help and web site help did not help I
> also downloaded a PFD help - no help. So here goes.
>
> Scenario: I have set up accounts for a Bike Company that has a showroom
> and workshop - expense fields all created. Bikes are bought in from
> overseas.
>
> The company pays an Agent. For the Bikes, Shipping, Haulage and, Import
> Duties. We have Assets (Bikes in stock) and Expenses of getting the Bikes.
>
> So I write out a cheque to the Agent and they settle the costs which
> then have to be split bikes (stock) expenses are shipping, haulage,
> import duty and Agent fee.
>
> I notice I can Add a Vendor (Supplier) I create "Shipping Agent." They
> send me their invoice 40,200 euros. Do I raise a Bill with their invoice
> number on it? I've got to pay their Invoice (Bill) but I've got to split
> the transaction.
>
> What is the correct procedure to follow?

There is no requirement that you use the Vendor Bill system.  If you
do then you will need to manually split the bill into Assets and
Expenses on the Vendor Bill.   Or you could just do it all with
a Split Transaction manually.