Exchange rate in reports

Artur Chruściel artchr at poczta.onet.pl
Mon Nov 24 11:29:23 EST 2008

Hi All,

When I'm buying book for $5.00 my credit card is charged to 15,00PLN.
Transaction between Books:USD account and CreditCard (PLN) account has
its own exchange rate and it is clearly defined in the GnuCash. So in
the Income Statement report I would like to see 15PLN spent on american
books. Unforturtunately, all four methods of definig exchange rate can
create only one rate for whole report. Because PLN is my main currency,
I'm loosing very iportant infomation: my real expenses during the report
period.

Currently I'm dealing with this issue using Books account in PLN only
but this causes loosing of exchange rate instead.

Is it possible to have them both: exchange rate and real cost of item?

My only idea is to have CreditCard and Books accounts in PLN and create
transaction between them using dummy USD account. But it looks like not
needed overhead for this case... (And, of course, only for this case. I
understand that exchange rate for i.e. USD -> USD transactions needs to
be counted for report in PLN.)

Best Regards,
Artur