"Tools > Close Book" doesn't seem to do what I want, i.e., to shrink gnucash file by rolling up transactions

Braindead Braindead at diablops.com
Mon Nov 24 12:31:43 EST 2008

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 12:25:27 -0500 "Jonathan Kamens" <jik at kamens.brookline.ma.us> wrote:
> Thank you for confirming that "Close Book" isn't intended to do what
> I want.
>
> However, your suggested solution is not terribly helpful.  Yes, I
> know that I could create a new set of books and create opening
> balances for all my accounts by hand.  However, it's ridiculous for
> me to have to do something tedious and time-consuming by hand which
> clearly could be done automatically.

I've written a program I use that will summarize all previous year transactions into single 'balance brought forward' entries.  It operates directly on the XML datafile.

I'm not 100% sure that it'll still function (it's been a while since I used it ;-).

I may have a chance to test it out today, and fix any minor issues.  It's a windoze program, but I'm fairly sure it'll run under Wine if you using linux.