Getting GnuCash to work with banks that demand ClientUID in their OFX transaction

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Mon Nov 24 20:34:58 EST 2008

Martin added the changes necessary for GnuCash to send CLIENTUID, so
I'll put down what I had to do to make it work.

Symptom: bank OFX log contains an error message that the bank
application doesn't support the user agent information that GNUCash
sends, whatever it sends. The bank says something silly like "This
application does not support Quicken for Windows 2007", which we know
well it does.

This isn't in a released version of GnuCash yet. Download the latest
pre-release of AQBanking, and get GnuCash and Gwhenhywfar from SVN. Make
sure to remove any old versions of these packages from your system.
Build the software.

Set up the account. In the OFX configuration page, under "Expert
Settings", set the Header Version to 103. This stopped my bank from
complaining about not supporting the client program. Fill in the
CLIENTUID with a long random number in lower-case hexadecimal, just the
digits, no leading "0x" or "#".

My number was generated by Quicken, and was 32 characters long, that's a
64-bit number. I think you can put any number there THE FIRST TIME.
After that, you must send the same number each time. If you've already
used another program with this account, generate a transaction log using
that program and look for CLIENTUID in the log. The instructions on how
to do that with Quicken are at
http://fi.intuit.com/support/logfileslocation.cfm
Otherwise, you will have to tell your bank to clear your OFX CLIENTUID
because you're using a different program than before (they may stop
helping you if you say "GnuCash", because they don't support it).

Once you've set up the OFX information, go through the same set-up
procedure as with OFX transactions that did not use CLIENTUID.

Good Luck!

    Bruce