Looking for a cash tool

Ian Lewis ianmlewis at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 04:08:04 EST 2008

Jim,

Not sure what you are trying to do or what you need. From reading your
e-mail I have a feeling that gnucash can do what you need but might
have a bigger learning curve than you might like.

2008/11/26  <gnucashmail at oneyv.org>:
> I am looking for a personal finance tool.  I don't think that it already exists in gnucash, but I could be wrong.  If I am, kindly direct me.  Otherwise, if anybody knows of such a tool that runs under Linux, whether it interfaces with gnucash or not, kindly point me to it.
>
> What I need it something that will handle short term cash flow projections for 2-3 months.  It would allow entry of templates for standard recurring income and expenses, such as salary, mortgage, groceries but also allow items with variable amounts or dates to be inserted or modified.  It would always display a running balance by date, alerting me when a projected balance was going negative.

There are some budgeting functions. I haven't used them but I think
they are functional.
There are scheduled transactions which can be reoccurring.

> It would allow me to enter ad hoc items ("oh crap, my daughter needs to borrow $700 this week") and modification of existing items ("I will have to reduce the amount I am sending to savings at the ends of the month by $700").  It would automatically re-sort when I changed the date of an item, or inserted a new item with a date in between already existing items.

Ad hoc items can be entered via an account register. It sorts based on the date.

Ian