not backup but using gnucash in two different distros

Manfred Usselmann usselmann.m at icg-online.de
Sat Nov 29 04:48:41 EST 2008

Harold <hh6199 at yahoo.com> schrieb am Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:55:46 -0800
(PST):

> In several of the forums for the different distros it was stated that
> there could be problems with different distros sharing the same home
> partition. I have different /home directories set up in the same
> partition.

Having separate home directories for different installations /
distributions definitely makes sense, but you don't need to have your
gnucash data in the home directory or a subdirectory of it.

Why not keep it simple instead of copying files around and risk
confusing yourself about what is the latest version? If your home dirs
are all on the same partition, I assume this partition is accessible
from all your distributions. You could put a gnucash directory in
parallel to your home dirs and use it independent from which
distribution you have booted. Then you would always use the same GC
data file and there is no need to copy it around.

You could also create a separate data partition which you mount from all
your OS installations.  This would make it easy to share also other
data files / documents you may be working on between your
distributions and it is easy to backup all your data. And you could
reinstall your distribution or install another one without loosing your
data (as long as you leave the data partition alone).

You could also create that data partition on an external hard drive. If
your system supports eSATA this gives you the same performance as with
internal disks (in contrast to USB 2, which is a lot slower). Then you
could even use your data from different computers. At least you would
be sure that you don't loose your data when you start messing around
with your distributions. Just disconnect the external drive first...

In any way I would not recommend copying data files around because
sooner or later you will use the wrong version...