Setting up progressive tax rates

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 7 09:50:24 EDT 2008

Hi,

"Dima - hotmail" <dimamushta at hotmail.com> writes:

> thanks Derek,
> it is exactly requirements from payroll.....
> I'm just on the way of choosing the right solution that would feet my
> requirements...
> So it's seems that I have to manage several programs that could help
> me to cover the basics of SMB needs.....
> But, even I created those tables - how should I deal if the amount
> falls in between?

What do you mean "falls between?"  The tables have to connect
somehow, there is no "in between".  If the number is 0-200 you
use the 0-200 table.  If the number is 201-500 you use the
201-500 table.

Or are you asking "what do I do if the number is "200.25"?  Well,
what does the law state?  Obviously the table itself is designed
for whole dollar amounts so you need to ask how to round.  I suspect
it would be "200.01 - 500"

> The idea was to automatically compute the taxes to be withheld
> ... (currently it is being done with excel sheet - that requires a lot
> of efforts on verifying the correctness.....)

Right.  well..

I certainly would love to see the hooks for a payroll system in
gnucash.  My theory is that it could use scheme for the actual table
definition and computation.  Of course you also have to deal with
other kinds of withholdings and deductions, pre-tax, and post-tax..
And of course ordered taxes, too, because some taxes get taken on the
gross amount, not the net amount.

It's all very complicated.

>>> from 201 to 500 - tax 10%
>>> from 501 to 2000 - tax 15%