Scheduled transactions by day of the month?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 9 08:13:31 EDT 2008

Quoting Marcus Wolschon <Marcus at Wolschon.biz>:

> On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 07:53:02 -0400, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>>> I am thinking of writing some automation here (see the "Mass
>>> invoicing"-thread.).
>>> (It will not be part of gnucash itself but an external program
>>> changing the gnucash-file but it would get the job done.)
>>
>> This is a BAD IDEA.  It is completely unsupported to modify the
>> gnucash data file externally.  If you do this you get into the
>> unsupported region.
>
> Yes.
> I've done this for years now on a daily basis and it works
> great. My library is written so it does not damage any data
> under any circumstances. (I come from the medical software-field.)
> Thus I don't need support. Instead I can offer it myself very well.
>
> Face it, Gnucash is a very nice application ment for general purpose
> finances done manually but it is not a software ment to heavily
> automate tasks.
> If I had not automated my online-banking, invoice-import,
> order-import and credit-card-acceptance I would have needed to hire
> someone because the boring bookkeeping would require all my time
> insted of having me doing actual work.

Then why not donate the code for inclusion into GnuCash proper?
Or is it not something that COULD be integrated and shared?

[snip]
>>> c) what kind of template to generate the printable invoice from?
>>> e.g. XSL-stylesheet generating an html-file from the xml of the
>>> invoice, OpenOffice-file with markers, ...
>>
>> I'll note that this part (c) is orthogonal to getting the
>> invoice data into GnuCash.
>
> Yes but both parts are needed by a user. To book the invoice
> in the gnucash-file and to print it. For the later Gnucash's
> templace simply looks horrible.

Which Invoice have you tried.  Yes, the standard Invoice looks pretty
bad.  I wrote it quickly just to get something (and even then I never
used it personally).  But the Fancy Invoice is pretty good IMHO, and I
DO use that personally all the time.