adding UK friendly society insurance policy

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Fri Oct 10 13:33:41 EDT 2008

On 10 October 2008 at 9:23, Kathy and Ted Aston said:

> Hi
>
> I want to add the value of an insurance policy, arranged through UK
> Friendly Society so tax except which is invested in one of the Societies
> funds
>
> I'm not familiar with accountancy terms and this is probably why I can't
> find understandable info in the help. Is there other documentation which
> might be might useful to me

Would this be one of those unit-linked policies that are only nominally
"insurance" and really a savings vehicle? So that the only "value" you're
interested in is the cash-in value?

If so, this may be best treated as an "investment" of type "mutual fund"
(or "stock" - I don't think it makes any difference) denominated in a
suitable "Commodity". You need to define the commodity to Gnucash (it
couldn't conceivably know about every possible one in advance), and if
it's publicly quoted you can fetch current prices using the "Price
Editor" tool (provided you set the quote source and symbol correctly).
GnuCash can then turn the number of units into a current valuation.