adding UK friendly society insurance policy

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon Oct 13 18:11:33 EDT 2008

>Would this be one of those unit-linked policies that are only nominally
>"insurance" and really a savings vehicle? So that the only "value" you're
>interested in is the cash-in value?
>
>If so, this may be best treated as an "investment" of type "mutual fund"
>(or "stock" - I don't think it makes any difference) denominated in a
>suitable "Commodity". You need to define the commodity to Gnucash (it
>couldn't conceivably know about every possible one in advance), and if
>it's publicly quoted you can fetch current prices using the "Price
>Editor" tool (provided you set the quote source and symbol correctly).
>GnuCash can then turn the number of units into a current valuation.

However there MAY be complications related to the insurance coverage
portion, depends upon the contract details, and in any case I wouldn't
be able to help much with interpreting those for UK "insurance" (though
I would be familiar with pretty much all the US forms). There are a
number of forms that were marketed as if they were primarily a "savings
vehicle" with and insurance component BUT (and this might be a big but)
that they would effectively function in that way could depend on a
generally rising market. Not what we've seen lately, eh? I rather
suspect that at the moment there are many policy holders pretty upset by
their "universal life" contracts who wished they had instead bought
"traditional" type policies.

Michael D Novack