Question about multiple currencies

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 22:35:02 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 8:05 AM, John M Collins <jmc at xisl.com> wrote:

> Please CC to jmc AT xisl DOT com as I'm not subscribed.
>
> I'm having a bit of a problem with GNUcash in that the trial balance is
> out of balance when various transactions are done in multiple
> currencies.
>
> I've got most of the accounts in £ sterling with some in Euros and some
> in US$
>
> I've been careful to account for sums in US$ including accounts
> receivable etc. But the problem is when the bank converts between
> currencies and I use "transfer" it lets me put in whatever rate the bank
> has given but keeps all the other accounts showing the original
> conversion rate. I think that something should be posted to a "currency
> variations" account.
>
> I've ended up with a significant difference in the columns of the "trial
> balance" account.
>
> Can anyone suggest how I can get the trial balance into order without
> deleting all the transactions?

What is the reporting currency used for the trial balance report? (I assume
it's GBP.)

Once you buy USD and EUR, where do they go? Do they ever get changed back
into GBP or another currency?

Also, please look over the exchange rates in the Price Editor. Do you see
entries at all that have an exchange rate of exactly 1? If so, make a note
of the dates. On those dates you have at least one transaction with an
incorrect exchange rate, probably due to a bug. (Upgrading to 2.2.7 should
help prevent further errors.)

Cheers,
Charles