SSL cert

Michael Vrable vrable at cs.hmc.edu
Thu Oct 16 15:00:05 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 12:35:56PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
>"Marcus Wolschon" <Marcus at Wolschon.biz> writes:
>> In that case.
>> Use at least cacert.
>> https://www.cacert.org
>> Yes, it's free. (As in freedom and as in free beer.)
>
> Heh!  I go to this site and Firefox tells me that the certificate is
> not signed by a trusted authority!!!    That's no better than the
> status quo.

The CAcert certificates are now included in Debian builds of Firefox
(actually called Iceweasel for trademark reasons).  And CAcert is making
progress towards inclusion in Firefox proper.  See:
http://wiki.cacert.org/wiki/InclusionStatus.

It's no worse than a self-signed certificate, and better in many ways.

--Michael Vrable