Question about multiple currencies

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Fri Oct 17 11:33:23 EDT 2008

On 17 October 2008 at 4:18, Charles Day said:

[...]
> I still think there is a bug somewhere though - his books balance but the
> exchange rates look suspect. Fred, do you use income or expense accounts
> denominated in foreign currencies?

Income no, but expenses yes. That's where the EUR, CHF and EEK get spent.
In each case there are several Expenses subaccounts (under Holidays,
Hotel, and Reimbursable expenses; that's as much detail as I've needed,
so far).

However, your latest patch fixed all my problems. Specifically, if I run
Trial Balance with "weighted average" and ask it to display foreign
currencies and exchange rates, I get
 CHF 1.00 £0.41579
 EUR 1.00 £0.7357
 EEK 1.00 £0.05518 (but there's only one exchange transaction anyway)
all of which are perfectly believeable, and for "most recent" it's
 CHF 1.00 £0.4926
 EUR 1.00 £0.7979
 EEK 1.00 £0.05518 (of course)
FWIW, "nearest in time" gets the same exchange rates as "most recent".
"Average cost" gets
 CHF 1.00 £0.41579
 EUR 1.00 £0.73991
 EEK 1.00 £0.05517 (the actual rate was exactly 0.055175)

Without your patch, the CHF and EEK exchange rates were OK, but the EUR
ones were ludicrous (for every choice of "price source"). It may be
significant that EUR is the only one for which transactions were created
by importing from an OFX file (I had some CHF in Equity:Opening balances
and haven't bought any since, and the EEK transactions were all last
month and input manually).

Anything more I can contribute?