Question about multiple currencies

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 16:39:30 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 8:33 AM, Fred Bone <Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com> wrote:

> On 17 October 2008 at 4:18, Charles Day said:
>
> [...]
> > I still think there is a bug somewhere though - his books balance but the
> > exchange rates look suspect. Fred, do you use income or expense accounts
> > denominated in foreign currencies?
>
> Income no, but expenses yes. That's where the EUR, CHF and EEK get spent.
> In each case there are several Expenses subaccounts (under Holidays,
> Hotel, and Reimbursable expenses; that's as much detail as I've needed,
> so far).
>
> However, your latest patch fixed all my problems. Specifically, if I run
> Trial Balance with "weighted average" and ask it to display foreign
> currencies and exchange rates, I get
>  CHF 1.00 £0.41579
>  EUR 1.00 £0.7357
>  EEK 1.00 £0.05518 (but there's only one exchange transaction anyway)
> all of which are perfectly believeable, and for "most recent" it's
>  CHF 1.00 £0.4926
>  EUR 1.00 £0.7979
>  EEK 1.00 £0.05518 (of course)
> FWIW, "nearest in time" gets the same exchange rates as "most recent".
> "Average cost" gets
>  CHF 1.00 £0.41579
>  EUR 1.00 £0.73991
>  EEK 1.00 £0.05517 (the actual rate was exactly 0.055175)
>
> Without your patch, the CHF and EEK exchange rates were OK, but the EUR
> ones were ludicrous (for every choice of "price source"). It may be
> significant that EUR is the only one for which transactions were created
> by importing from an OFX file (I had some CHF in Equity:Opening balances
> and haven't bought any since, and the EEK transactions were all last
> month and input manually).
>
> Anything more I can contribute?

Thanks, that helps. I have some simple examples I can set up and try now,
but unfortunately not much time to try devote. I will work on it as time
permits. The last month of stock market action has wiped me out in the
physical/mental sense if not the pocket book. I think I could happily sleep
for a year.

Cheers,
Charles