Anyone using GnuCash for a small UK business?

Mukund Sivaraman muks at banu.com
Sat Oct 18 14:21:45 EDT 2008

Hi all

I am an existing GnuCash user using it to track my personal finances.

I have just registered a new private limited company in UK and am
looking for a free accounting software app to track the company
accounts. This is a services company, so there are no "products" being
sold. As it's a startup and I'm not good at accounting, I want to:

1. Use a simple software program which does not overwhelm me. So larger
software like ERP systems are not useful.

2. Learn how to keep the company accounts, so that they are easily used
by an accountant at the end of the year.

Two software apps which seem close are SQL Ledger and GnuCash, but as
I'm already familiar with GnuCash and it seems to have business
features, I'd like to use it.

Will anyone here who uses GnuCash for a small UK business please give
me a description of their accounts hierarchy? I have looked at the UK
VAT tree in the concepts guide, but it's very concise. Also, are there
any simple books on how to comply with requirements (accounts, VAT,
company tax, etc.) for small businesses specifically for UK?

Kind regards,

Mukund