how to handle different expenses in a single transaction

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Oct 20 10:23:44 EDT 2008

At Mon, 20 Oct 2008 04:18:04 +0000 Girard Aquino <girardaquino at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi! I was wondering whether it was possible to monitor the expenses on
> different accounts that was charged/taken from a single transaction. For
> example, i would get charged for 150 for a transaction in my credit card
> or debit. However, that transaction should be broken down into its
> respectful account so that i would be able to monitor correctly the
> monthly expenses for each account. for example : 50 for Computer, 50 for
> groceries, 50 for clothing. How do I go about this in gnucash? i tried
> to play around with the split transaction feature, but have no idea what
> this is used for, nor did i achieve the results i wanted to have. i
> would appreciate it if anyone could tell me how to handle these kinds of
> transactions. thank you.

You do in fact create a split.  Generally, you will have several
accounts, one for each type of expense.  You would 'debit' 150 (the
total) from the credit card account and then open the split.  You would
create a line item for each expense and 'credit' each expense with the
amount of each expense.  Something like this (as viewed from the CC
account):

Date         Num      Description         Transfer         R Pay   Char Bal
10/20/2008            Shopping Trip                          150        900
		      Computer Parts      Expense:Computer n        50
		      groceries           Expense:Food     n        50
		      clothing            Expense:Clothing n        50
		                          Liability:VISA   n 150

Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
heller at deepsoft.com       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk