strange file name

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 21 12:56:44 EDT 2008

carpetnailz <carpetnailz at researchintegration.org> writes:

> The file name of my gnucash file is a strange concatenation of .xac
> phrases:
>
> Personals2006.20070307140316.xac.20070501072336.xac.20071112212814.xac.20080425183846.xac.20081020163034.xac
>
> How does this come about?

It means you opened a backup of a backup of a backup of a backup, and
it created a backup.

So you started with a file named "Personals2006".  Then sometime after
March 7, 2007 you opened the March 7th backup file and started using
that.  Then you did the same thing on May 10, and November 12, and
then again on April 25, 2008.  The file here is the backup file created
on October 20, 2008, based on that April 25th backup from... the list.

Remember:  GnuCash will always reopen the most recent file you used.
Most likely you (or someone you know) is opening a backup file the main
data file, so GnuCash is dutifully following your instructions and
switches over to that as the main data file.