balance sheet display value for place holder accounts (always $0)

zhangweiwu at realss.com zhangweiwu at realss.com
Wed Oct 22 10:53:16 EDT 2008

Hello.

I am comparing my company's balance sheet with the one made by
accounting service company for us. The biggest difference is, on the
placeholder account (the account used to hold other accounts), the
balance sheet from GNU Cash 2.2.7 always display '$0' while the version
from accounting service company has the sub-total of all accounts in it.

e.g. it's a bit funny to see this from GnuCash:

Asset                           $0
       Cash Asset               $0
                  Cash       $4000
                  Other Cash  $400
       Total Cash Assert            $4400

Where accountant's report (made using Excel) looks more reasonable:

Asset
       Cash Asset                   $4400
                  Cash       $4000
                  Other Cash  $400

I guess it's better to either replace value of placeholder with the
subtotal of accounts within it, or not to display its value at all.
"Cash Asset is $0" is always funny to read, worse than having not
mentioned value of "Cash Asset" (though I am new to this area).

What do you think?