GNUcash is off by a couple cents when adding transaction splits that span 2 currencies

jgombos nabble.forum.jog at spamgourmet.com
Thu Oct 23 15:56:55 EDT 2008

In the USD (credit card) register, I have:

42.63
29.47
10.85
11.22
---------
94.17 <= that's a correct sum, and also matches what the credit card was
charged

However, then in the EUR (expense) register, the same transactions mirror
as:

28.93
20.00
 7.36
 7.61
---------
63.88 <= incorrect sum; should be 63.90, as shown on the receipt

I know the exchange rate I entered is right on the money, because the euro
values on the itemized receipt matches
(28.93; 20.00; 7.36; 7.61), and the total of 94.17 USD appears on the credit
card, and it's a correct sum of the itemized USD values.

Every time two currencies are involved with split transactions, this
happens.  It's very aggravating.

I also don't understand the rationale behind having a separate exchange rate
for each line item.  GNUcash offers no way to enter one exchange rate for
the whole transaction, so in the above case, an exchange rate had to be
entered 4 times.  Although I take care to do this, and ensure that that USD
total comes out correct as well as have each split on the EUR side match the
receipt, gnucash seems to never correctly add up the register on the expense
accounts.  It appears that gnucash may have some rounding errors; perhaps
it's not taking the most efficient route to performing the calculations.