Can't enter data when starting in an expense account (instead of liability or asset account)

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 16:49:20 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 12:54 PM, jgombos
<nabble.forum.jog at spamgourmet.com>wrote:

> When entering a new transaction in an expense account, I create a line item
> like "Liabilities:Credit Card:Some Bank", and enter the charges on the
> rebate line.  I also fill in a line for the actual expense, of course.
>
> The first problem is, when right clicking on the expense line and choosing
> 'exchange rate', nothing happens; the dialog box just goes away.  (that's
> not a problem if entry begins in the liability account side of the
> transaction first)

It sounds like you are entering the transaction in the expense account's
register, so all numbers are entered in terms of that account's currency. So
there is no exchange rate needed on the expense line; you would have to
right-click on the liability line.

> The second problem is the liability account gets the record without values,
> and doesn't accept values.

There were some bugs fixed recently that sound like this. You might find
that the problem goes away if you upgrade.

-Charles