Build Error on Trunk

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 6 19:05:30 EDT 2008

On Sep 6, 2008, at 6:08 PM, Tom Browder wrote:

> I just updated fron the trunk (r17498), configured using
> '--enable-compile-warnings', and, using gcc-4.3.1, got the following
> errors (it occurs four times in the same file, all at calls of
> G_LOCK(threads) and G_UNLOCK(threads).
>
> io-gncxml-v2.c:1351: error: dereferencing type-punned pointer will
> break strict-aliasing rules
>
> I found a thread on the devel list for a similar problem but nothing
> about this. (see
> https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2008-April/022817.html)
> .
>
> I get a complete build with 'configure --disable-error-on-warning'.
> Is it safe to use?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Tom
>
> Tom Browder
> Niceville, Florida
> USA

Which version of glib are you using? 2.16.4 and higher reverted the
change in gthread.h that caused the problem for me in the thread you
referenced. Disabling error on warning allowed building to continue
for me, but gnucash didn't run.

I'd suggest updating to glib 2.16.5 (2.18.x might also work, but I
think they made enough changes in the minor version update to worry
about ancillary things breaking.) So really, the problem would be if
you have glib 2.16.2 or 2.16.3 -- or it's a different problem
entirely. But I'd bet on glib.

Of course, you could downgrade your gcc too, but...

Dave
--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net