More Questions on New Quicken Import

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Sun Sep 7 11:12:26 EDT 2008

Tom Browder wrote:
> A couple of questions, please:
>
> 1.  Is there anyway to set up a fixed-payment loan so recurring
> payments properly allocate a split to principle and interest?
>
> 2.  Is there anyway to globally change a reference to one account to another?
>
> For example, in my conversion all my categories became accounts.  I
> would like to better organize my chart of accounts so that, say
> account 'xyz' becomes account 'expenses:household:xyz' (The 'xyz' came
> from sloppy data entry in the Quicken register in my most-often-used
> account:  my bank checking account.).

Can't help with the first question and as a user of Gnucash
for less than a week I am probably not qualified to answer
the second but here goes anyway (having just done a lot of
this after importing 10+ years of data from MSMoney)... :-)

You can create (if necessary) the expenses:household
account(s) and then edit the xyz account, and change its
parent to expenses:household.  Since internally, Gnucash
references the xyz account by guid, transactions referring
to xyz will refer to expenses:household:xyz after the change.
You can also change the name to something other than xyz if
you want :-)

If expenses:household:xyz already exists and contains transactions
(i.e. you want to merge two accounts) then I think one must move
each transaction from xyz to expenses:household:xyz, one at a
time.  Alternatively you could edit the files from quicken prior
to import.  One of my few complaints about Gnucash so far is the
difficultly of doing "bulk" changes to data.  I am eagerly awaiting
a rdbms backend for gnucash!