Entering stock transactions

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 18:02:37 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Fred Bone <Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com> wrote:

> On 08 September 2008 at 13:22, Charles Day said:
>
> [plenty]
>
> Thanks, I think I can see what you're getting at and I think I can apply
> that to my other not-quite-the-same problem transactions.
>
> I think ... ;->

The tricky part is knowing when to change the capital in the stock account,
as in splits 4 and 6 of the transaction I gave, and when to use capital
gains instead.

Just make sure that after each investment transaction:
1. The trial balance still balances.
2. The balance sheet with 'average cost' price source shows the correct cost
of any remaining holdings.

If I ever get past fixing all the little investment- and currency-related
bugs that have been lying around (and I think I've made a sizable dent in
them so far), hopefully I can add some new features to make investment
transaction entry a lot more straightforward.

One last thing: after doing this transactions, you may notice that the
"Advanced Portfolio" report shows the incorrect basis for your "A" shares.
I'm not sure why it's wrong, but the report may make some assumptions about
the "num" column in the stock register.

Good luck,
Charles

P.S. Andrew, if you have time to take a look at this, I can send you a
GnuCash data file with the transactions.