Entering stock transactions

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Tue Sep 9 04:06:53 EDT 2008

On 08 September 2008 at 15:02, Charles Day said:

> On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Fred Bone <Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 08 September 2008 at 13:22, Charles Day said:
> >
> > [plenty]
> >
> > Thanks, I think I can see what you're getting at and I think I can apply
> > that to my other not-quite-the-same problem transactions.
> >
> > I think ... ;->
> >

> The tricky part is knowing when to change the capital in the stock
> account, as in splits 4 and 6 of the transaction I gave, and when to use
> capital gains instead.
>
> Just make sure that after each investment transaction:
> 1. The trial balance still balances.

This has been the problem. A bug that was fixed in 2.2.6 meant that I had
a spurious imbalance all along, but now the bug has been fixed I see I
have some real imbalances. Which I'm trying to clean up.

> 2. The balance sheet with 'average cost' price source shows the correct
> cost of any remaining holdings.
>
> If I ever get past fixing all the little investment- and currency-related
> bugs that have been lying around (and I think I've made a sizable dent in
> them so far), hopefully I can add some new features to make investment
> transaction entry a lot more straightforward.
>
> One last thing: after doing this transactions, you may notice that the
> "Advanced Portfolio" report shows the incorrect basis for your "A" shares.
> I'm not sure why it's wrong, but the report may make some assumptions
> about the "num" column in the stock register.

That suggests that I might do best to make a clean break, by treating the
old and new shares as different commodities. I'll play around with a
clean file and see what happens, and report back (in a week or so).