balance sheet rollup-totals are $0

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 17:16:33 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Stuart McGraw <smcg4191 at frii.com> wrote:

> When I display a Balance Sheet report, rollup-totals display
> as $0.  I have tried to reproduce below the Assets portion
> as it is shown, replacing tabs with spaces and compressing
> it horizontally a little (you'll need to view this message
> using a fixed-width font).  I only show the Assets section
> for brevity; the same problem exists in other sections too.
> (In addition to the $0 value rollup-totals problem, I find
> the indentation of the amounts rather strange.  Is it correct?)

By default, those various parent accounts ("Current Assets", for example)
don't include the children's balances. Check your report options. On the
"display" tab, change the "parent account balances" option.

> Balance Sheet 2008-12-31
>
> Assets
> Assets                                         USD 0.00
>    Current Assets               USD 0.00
>        Cash       USD 314.15 USD 314.15
>                      \96,500 USD 900.44
>        Checking               USD 616.36
>        Receipts                 USD 0.00
>        Savings              USD 5,512.91
>    Fixed Assets                 USD 0.00
>        Vehicle             USD 10,527.52
>        CDs                  USD 8,726.29
>        IRAs                USD 15,029.22
>    Accounts Receivable                    USD 1,121.32
> Imbalance-USD                                                USD 0.00
> Total Assets                                             USD 42748.21
>
> This is on Window-2000, Gnucash-2.2.6.  If it is relevant,
> my machine has a default locale (Windows regional settings)
> of Japanese but the Gnucash file was initialized with a
> default currency of USD.  Preferences->Reports->Default
> Report Currency is set to USD.  All accounts are denoted
> in USD except that the Cash account has two sub-accounts:
> Cash-US in USD and Cash-JP in Japanese Yen.
>
> Any idea what's wrong or how I fix it?  The Accounts page
> shows the rollup-totals correctly.
>
> (Also, any way to tell Gnucash to suppress the "USD" texts,
> i.e. only explicitly display the currency when it is not
> the same as the default?)

I don't know the answer, but I suspect that has something to do with your
locale. When I run a balance sheet with multiple currencies, instead of
"USD" I see "$".  I only see the three-letter symbols on non-US currencies.

-Charles